Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Reading Firefly's shout-out to her sisters reminded me of what happened at the drugstore today. I popped in after work to grab my favorite new snack (Scooby Doo rainbow sherbet push-up pops) and I was leaving when this man went through the door at the same instant I did. The anti-theft alarm thingy went off, and before I had a chance to even wonder if I'd forgotten to pay (again), the guy tossed "Enjoy" over his shoulder, ran to his bicycle and pedaled off! That's when I noticed the giant bag of drugstore goodies he was holding. I was so miffed I yelled, "In my country you'd have your hand chopped off!" He laughed, the onlookers behind me laughed, and I couldn't help chuckling--after I walked back into the store and then out again to show that I wasn't the culprit.

So you see, a vigilante is handy sometimes. Imagine if Firefly's big sister was standing in line in that store, instead of sheepish middle-aged middle class white folk who left their SUV's idling and didn't want to get involved. That man would've been brought to justice in the form of a flying tackle.

4 comments:

SleepDepraved said...

Weird outburst dontcha think?

Anonymous said...

LOL@"In my country you'd have your hand chopped off!"
That's funny...where did that come from

Firefly said...

Lo0oL! Euhip, I didn't know you had it in you! "In my country you'd have your hand chopped off!" Indeed.

True though, Sanub wouldn't have let him get far. LoL.

euhippus said...

It just popped into my head. If he had been furtive and fearful and shame-faced I would've felt sympathy. But he was smirking! I thought it would put the fear of god into him and set him on the path to mend his ways, but he nearly toppled off the bike laughing instead.