Saturday, May 12, 2007

Facaaga ha ka harin.

That's what my aunt said to me. Apparently, it's time I settled down and started a family. To be honest I've been feeling a little left out lately, everyone I know and their younger siblings seem to have been bitten by the marriage (or at least cohabitation) bug. The few still standing are just waiting for Cupid to let loose his fatal arrow (how's that for purple prose?).

On the other hand, I feel like everyone is heading into dangerous territory without any preparation. On the other other hand, perhaps I'm just a worrywart and have prepared myself so thoroughly that I keep finding reasons to postpone the trip.

Anyhow, this isn't the first time an aunt has sagely advised me that I'll be a cajuuso any day now. It just hit a little closer to home because I've recently witnessed the very painful and destructive end of a 20-year marriage. I don't want to go through that. The best way to avoid it is to never get married, isn't it? So why do I want to get married? It just doesn't compute.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats what my folks tell me too.U wanna marry me?hehehe

Anonymous said...

LOL tito has been proposing to every gal on the block watch out. ;)

Everyone worries about whether or not they are fit for marriage and you will never know the answer until you are hit by that cupid arrow. Believe me you will know and you wont care whether it lasts 1 yr or 20 year as long as you are married to that particular person :D

Ever The Idealist said...

This is some scary stuff you know. Life does not work the way people tell us it does. Some people mature and settle down and find the right person at 20 some do it at 25 or 35. Its all about each person and their ability and also what Allah(swt) has planned for them. Somalis are so weird in that they make people feel bad if they don't progress at the same rate as their friends or more like the parents friends children.
Uh I sometimes really hate the whole been proded and pushed when I am not ready. It will happen whe its menat to whether they like it or not :D!

euhippus said...

citizentito, I think you've got enough on your hands if even half the stuff on your blog is based on reality :D

Nahja, I have this idea of love and this idea of marriage and the two just don't go together. Now what?

Ever the idealist, LOL @ "parents friends children". Try parents siblings children, otherwise known as cousins.

Hopeless Dreamer said...

heyy...i like ur blog's background

..hehehe..maybe cuz it's just like mine. :)
just one thought..don't let any1 make you feel bad about marriage(when .who..how))trust me,,its not about when your friends are getting married ..it's abut when you feel ready ..waa wax qoraan..nd in my case since most of my friends are arab.who were engaged by the time they were 18..what ..I'm I suppose to feel Canes now..uhhh

Anonymous said...

Pay everyone exerting that kinda pressure no mind! Facaga can also be young people making millions or climbing Mt. Everest, you won't hear too many encouraging or supporting young'uns to go out there and make their mark. I think a single, young person (especially a girl) is like a free radical, everyone is afraid of what they might do.

euhippus said...

hopeless dreamer, oh I see you've got good taste in templates. Yours is very classy and understated ;)

Very true Aya. Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm now filled with steely resolve to go tackle Mt. Everest, or at least a modest hill at the park...