Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Oh, I forgot.

The reason I wanted to update in the first place: I saw K'Naan at the House of Blues in Cleveland, Ohio on March 30. He was opening for Stephen Marley and his brother Jr. Gong. The Marleys were alright.

K'NAAN, if you happen to be one of the three people reading this, you should know that I think you were awesome. I didn't think you were awesome before. I thought that your voice was grating, and your lyrics completely lacking in irony. But you sound way better live, and sometimes unironic, unselfconscious singing from the heart is moving. I nearly cried during "Blues 4 the Horn", (which has a theme similar to The Arcade Fire's "Haiti") and happily bopped my head with the audience of largely doped-out kids for every beat in "Smile". I'm sure "Soobax" will grow on me, since I bought the album and it's on heavy rotation at home, in my office and at the lab.

Thank you!

And thank you to the Somali cabdriver who wouldn't take my fare after the show. That was really sweet.

6 comments:

SleepDepraved said...

ERrm........maybe this is random but i was under te impression you existed in the east coast realm. What u doing in ohio?

Sounds like you enjoyed the show though. He is a great poet.

Ps:- on your whole becoming a veggiehead (I kid), I think it takes courage. My x-roomate is a veggie head and sometimes would cook me up some of her meat substitute and they weren't half bad. It will put a dent on your wallet though because she spent twice as much money for grocery than I did for half the things I got. Good luck.

euhippus said...

SD, I was only in Cleveland visiting Case Western Reserve University (hi to the Somali girl at the Starbucks near campus!)

About being a veggiehead (lol, I like it), the consensus seems to be that a vegetarian diet is expensive, time-consuming and requires some thought and creativity. In other words, it requires a lot of things I don't have in abundance. I think I will need that luck.

Firefly said...

Sounds like you had fun, Euhip.

About Vegetarianism....it's not a bad idea. You just need to make sure you get your protein and iron from elsewhere. I've considered it too, altho I don't eat red meat in any case (just chicken). It's pretty easy to be a veggie in the UK as most restaurants/supermarkets cater for vegetarians. I'm not sure about your end tho (Americans love their red meat, don't they? Do you even have any veggie restaurants?).

I think it just depends on how much you like your meat! :D

Anonymous said...

Glad you had good time in my home town I hope you kissed the ground for me ;)

About becoming a vegetarian it is probably not going to be that hard albeit it will cut deep holes into your wallet but it is doable. For me even though I hardly ever eat any meat I am afraid if I ever declare to be vegetarian I will start craving steaks.

Flower.of.Chaos said...

Why dont you just limit your meat intake? Thats how I operate. I opt for veggie meals whenever I'm out and usually eat chicken(breast) most of the time at home.

Forget all this blah blah about making a stand and just do what suits you the best and your body/needs.

euhippus said...

Firefly, there are few exclusively vegetarian restaurants, but most mainstream places have the token veggie dish or two. There's an Indian veggie restaurant, and I heard it's pretty good actually.

Tell you what, I'll do what FOC suggested, I'll completely give up meat (as if I eat it anyway) but continue eating fish and poultry for a while. If I get any cravings for a steak I'm blaming Nahja for putting the idea in my head!